The Bodhisattva Peace Institute offers a variety of programs for training and taming the mind, based on the teachings of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche. There are three general options for participation.
The Bodhisattva Peace TrainingThe Bodhisattva Peace Training (BPT) is a three-day retreat offered twice a year at Iron Knot Ranch, or upon request at other venues around the country. Participants explore the nature of "good heart" and the qualities of awakened mind. Click here for upcoming BPTs.
Change of HeartThe book Change of Heart: The Bodhisattva Peace Training of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche is a compilation of Rinpoche's Bodhisattva Peace Trainings, with extended meditations at the end of each chapter. These meditations can be practiced sequentially, alone or in a group. For information on virtual, or in-person Change of Heart mediation groups contact email@example.com.
the iron knot instituteWith roots in Mahayana Buddhist philosophy, The Iron Knot Institute provides a secular ethical framework for community conversations, personal and group meditation through a concise introduction to contemplative meditation. See Conspiracy to Create Virtue (CCV). More extensive training is available upon request. For more information contact CCVqueries@gmail.com.
Immersion retreat series
Immersion series — Three-year programThis program consists of nine sequential eight-day retreats for those who have attended a Bodhisattva Peace Training and are interested in further exploring foundational Mahayana practices. There are three different approaches to participating in the Immersion series:
- Virtual Immersion retreats for those unable to travel to Iron Knot Ranch. This requires an at-home retreat environment, and involves participation by phone or Skype one weekend per month during spring, summer and fall.
- A combination of virtual and residential participation in three week-long immersion retreats each year.
- Full-time residential participation in three week-long immersion retreats each year.
Residential Participation Year 1Change of Heart Immersion and Immersion I & II
- In these introductory immersions, we learn methods for giving rise to bodhicitta in our formal practice and in our daily lives.
Residential participation year 2Immersions III through V
- In the second year we immerse in the practice of bodhicitta by relying on classic Mahayana Buddhist texts.
Residential Participation year 3Immersion VI through VIII
- We further deepen our practice of relative and ultimate bodhicitta through reliance on foundational Buddhist texts.
Click here for upcoming Immersion Retreats.
- The intensive program is a full-time residential and/or virtual training program with one- to three-year options, which incorporates participation in all of the above programs plus a rigorous practice schedule and an individual program of study and training. Contact us for more information.
BPI residential and virtual trainings are taught by Lama Shenpen who works with each full-time student to develop an individual program of training that makes possible a thorough integration of teachings and practice within each student's life circumstances.
The Bodhisattva Peace Training is also offered through Fundacion Origen in Chile where Mary Anne Muller has created a sister Institute with Lama Shenpen.